The City of Fairfax is working to reduce fuel consumption and air emissions of its vehicle fleet through a combination of upgrading fleet fuel efficiency, adding alternative fuel vehicles to the fleet, and looking for ways to reduce driving while still delivering a high level of service to the community.
- Trash routes are planned to reduce diesel consumption.
- Four city trash trucks have newer diesel technology.
- Twelve trash trucks and four right-of-way trucks have been outfitted with GPS tracking systems. The system allows for maximization of operations and the ability to dispatch the closest vehicle to pick up sites, thereby reducing overall fuel use.
- Six hybrid electric diesel buses are being used in the CUE bus system.
- The hybrid buses are equipped with an auxiliary heating system to reduce idle time during the winter.