Please join the City of Fairfax in our efforts to reduce waste, increase recycling, and preserve the environment for future generations. We look forward to working with you in the protection of our environment!
Contact Stefanie Kupka for more information
1. Recycling Volunteers for Fairs and Festivals
Description: Recycling volunteers are needed to promote recycling at fairs and festivals. The City will provide training and materials. Responsibilities include:
- Greet vendors and instruct them how to recycle at the event and who to contact if they have questions.
- Set up recycling bins.
- Post recycling signs at appropriate vendors and recycling containers.
- Monitor assigned recycling stations for correct usage during the event and encourage attendees to recycle.
- Respond to questions or concerns about the City’s recycling program
- Remove full bags and replace liner. Bring full bags to the collection points.
- Pick up recyclable materials from vendors.
- Break down recycling bins, bring full bags to the collection points and assist with clean up
Time involved: Shifts are flexible depending on the event. Volunteers may work individually or in small groups, depending on the size of the event and its duration. Events typically occur on weekends during the spring and fall.
Special skills: Good public speaking skills and ability to work with diverse audiences.
Upcoming events: Check back for future opportunities.
2. Neighborhood Volunteer Recycling Coordinators
Be a neighborhood resource for up-to-date information on recycling and waste reduction programs in the City of Fairfax. Volunteer Recycling Coordinators are needed to visit neighbors a few times a year to drop off information and to chat with them about recycling and waste reduction. The City will provide you with training and materials. How many homes you "adopt" is up to you! Recycling Coordinators will also receive periodic emails with helpful tips and tricks.
Sign up online or call Stefanie Kupka at 703-385-7816.