According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), "lawn and garden watering make up nearly 40 percent of total household water use during the summer."
Rain barrels can be installed under your downspouts to collect and store rainwater for landscaping and other non-potable water needs. Rain barrels provide the following benefits:
- Reduce your water bills. Using water collected from rain barrels, saves the amount of water you use from the tap or faucet. One inch of rain on a 1000 sq ft roof yields over 620 gallons of water.
- Grow healthier plants. Using rainwater is healthier for your plants. Municipal tap water contains chlorine which can be harmful to your plants.
- Reduce stormwater runoff. Without a rain barrel, roof runoff flows over nonpermeable surfaces and collects pollutants as it flows and drains into municipal storm water systems. When you use the water collected by your rain barrel, it will absorb slowly into the ground keeping polluted runoff out of storm water systems and natural waterways.
Northern Virginia Rain Barrel Building Workshops, Distribution Events and Installation Information
List of Suppliers for Rain Barrels, Diverters, and Other Rain Barrel Accessories.
How to Build A Rain Barrel Brochure, Center for Watershed Protection
Local places to purchase ready-to-install rain barrels
1. Merrifield’s Garden Center (call to confirm in stock)
2. Whole Foods (call to confirm in stock)
3. Aqua Barrel