The Fairfax Museum & Visitor Center,1873
The Fairfax Museum & Visitor Center (Fairfax Elementary School)
is located between Washington Dulles International Airport and Washington, D.C., in the heart of Northern Virginia. Housed in the former Fairfax Elementary School--built in 1873 as the first two-story brick school in Fairfax County-- it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The facility is handicapped-accessible.
As a state-certified visitor center we provide general visitor information for Fairfax City, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., including lodging, restaurants, transportation and historic and natural attractions. We also are the place to find out about special events in and around the City.
The museum produces permanent and special exhibitions on Fairfax City and Fairfax County history; provides educational outreach to school and youth groups; and offers walking tours of Old Town Fairfax and the City's historic buildings in the spring and fall.
"Chalkboards to Smartboards: Public Schools in the County of Fairfax and Fairfax City" - Gano Gallery. Through mid-July 2017.
Tuesday, July 4 – Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center’s 25th Anniversary!! 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Free cake and lemonade and craft activities on the lawn following the parade. Remarks and recognition of volunteers at 1:30 p.m. See “Parades of the Past” and “Schools of Yesteryear” video presentations.
Historic Walking Tours: Historic Fairfax City, Inc. (HFCI) walking tours of Old Town Fairfax begin on Saturday, June 3, 2017. The tours start at 10 am in front of the Historic Fairfax Courthouse located at 4000 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Virginia, weather permitting and last about 90 minutes. Free parking is across the street in the Bank of America parking lot Click Here for fees, reservations, and additional information or call 703.385.8414. Other tour dates are July1, August 5, September 2, and October 7.