The use of Pneumatic Guns within the City of Fairfax is outlined below. You can also view our Replica Weapons Flyer for some additional safety tips.
City of Fairfax Codes – Pneumatic Guns
– Discharge of Firearms
It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any gun, pistol, or other firearm within the city, except:
(1) By special permit issued by the city manager containing reasonable conditions or restrictions, upon written application showing good cause for the requested firing or discharge, and limited to guns, pistols, and other firearms loaded with a blank cartridge, or other ammunition, not resulting in the expulsion of a projectile; or
(2) On a shooting gallery or range authorized by the city; or
(3) By any law enforcement officer in discharging his duties; or
(4) For the lawful protection of person or property; or
(5) As otherwise permitted by applicable law.
– Use of pneumatic guns, slingshots
No person shall use within the city any instrument, including, but not limited to, pneumatic gun, slingshot or other similar instrument, for projecting missiles liable to do any injury to persons, property or wildlife. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer or animal control officer in discharging his duties. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person using pneumatic guns on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. If any person violates the provisions of this section relating to pneumatic guns, such person shall be guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.
As used in this section, “pneumatic gun” means any implement, designed as a gun, that will expel a BB or a pellet by action of pneumatic pressure. “Pneumatic gun” includes a paintball gun that expels by action of pneumatic pressure plastic balls filled with paint for the purpose of marking the point of impact.