Occasionally a crime victim may be asked to provide some evidence that a police report was filed, usually by an insurance company to establish that a loss occurred. Police reports are maintained by the Police Records Section, located at:
3730 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22030-1800
Business hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Police Investigation Reports often contain personal, sensitive or confidential information about the event or the persons involved. To preserve the privacy of personal information about citizens and to protect criminal investigations, the Virginia Freedom of Information Act generally protects those reports from public disclosure. Consequently, a copy of a Police Investigation Report will not be released without a court order or unless otherwise authorized by law.
If you need written verification that you filed a police report, the Police Department will provide a Verification of Police Report.
A Verification of Police Report may be released to:
- Any complainant or victim listed on the police report
- Any authorized representative of an insurance carrier that represents a victim listed on the police report; or
- An attorney who has been retained to represent a complainant, victim or other party listed on the police report
The Verification of Police Report will contain the following information:
- Case number
- Reporting Officer
- Date of report
- Name of complainant/owner
- Location of event
- Property reported, if applicable
- Value if listed in the report
- A brief synopsis of the event
A valid identification with photograph is required to obtain a Verification of Police Report. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Photo I.D. such as a drivers licenses
- Military I.D. card
- Department of Motor Vehicle identification card
- U.S. Government issued identification.
If you have a case number for the incident and proper identification it will help expedite the process. There is a $10.00 fee to obtain a Verification of Police Report. Checks are accepted and should be made payable to The City of Fairfax. In cases of domestic violence, the victim may obtain a Verification of Police Report at no charge.
If you are seeking a copy of an automobile accident report, please see Crash Reports.