The City of Fairfax began administering its Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) on July 1, 2014, per Virginia state code requirements. As part of these requirements, the City of Fairfax will also be administering coverage in the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) for Construction General Permits on behalf of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). While DEQ will continue to issue coverage letters, the City of Fairfax will process registration statements, permit transfers, permit modifications and notices of termination for Construction General Permits.
As part of the introduction of the VSMP in the City, a new revision to the Stormwater Ordinance was adopted and approved by City Council. All Site Plans and Erosion and Sediment Control Plans submitted after July 1, 2014 are required to adhere to the revised ordinance changes.
- Click here for the revised Stormwater Ordinance, No. 2015-19, Adopted 3/10/2015
Requirements for plan submissions, effective July 1, 2014:
- Stormwater Management Plan Application
- VSMP Checklist
- General VPDES Permit for Discharge of Stormwater from Construction Activities (VAR10) - Registration Statement
- General VPDES Permit for Discharge of Stormwater from Construction Activities (VAR10) - Notice of Termination
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
- VSMP Fee
*The Stormwater package must be completed prior to submission.
- Stormwater Package - Land Disturbance > 2,500 sq.ft. & < 1 acre
- Stormwater Package - Land Disturbance >/= 1 acre
For any additional questions, email PW-Stormwater@fairfaxva.gov.
BMP = Best Management Practice
CDP = Community Development and Planning
DEQ = Department of Environmental Quality
E&S = Erosion and Sediment
GP = General Permit
SWM = Stormwater Management
SWPPP = Stormwater Pollutant Prevention Plan
VESCP = Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
VSMP = Virginia Stormwater Management Program