Transform 66: Traffic Pattern Changes at Route 123 and I-66 Starting On or About 4/18
As part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway project, Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will implement the following traffic pattern change on I-66, near the city, in mid-April (date subject to change):
- Loop ramp from northbound Route 123/Chain Bridge Road to I-66 West will close.
- Drivers will access I-66 West by turning left at a temporary traffic light using 2 left turn-only lanes and a new roadway that joins the existing ramp from southbound Route 123 to I-66 West.
- Two travel lanes on Route 123 will continue through the interchange in each direction.
Upcoming work on I-66 from Jermantown Road to I-495 includes:
- 30-day projection
- ITS ductbank relocation along Route 28
- Retaining walls along northbound Route 28
- Retaining walls at E.C. Lawrence Park Access Road
- Bridge pier work within Route 28 Interchange
- Clearing and grubbing on eastbound and westbound I-66
- Implement long-term traffic shift along eastbound and westbound I-66 between Fairfax County Parkway and US Route 50
- Preparatory work for temporary traffic pattern shifts on US Route 50 at I-66 (temporary pavement)
- 6-month projection:
- Open long-term traffic pattern shift at eastbound I-66 to northbound Route 123
- Retaining walls between Jermantown Road and Route 123
- Begin preparatory work for retaining walls on westbound I-66 west of Cedar Lane
- Begin bridge foundations at Route 123
- Implement short-term traffic pattern shift on westbound I-66 at Gallows Road
- Begin Gallows Road bridge abutment work
- Implement long-term traffic shift on eastbound and westbound I-66 between Blake Lane and Cedar Lane