Political Signs: The 'Where' and 'How' of Posting Them
Planning to post political signs on your property for candidates in the November 5 General Election?
Here is some information from the Zoning Office::
- Political signs are “temporary signs” that may be posted for up to 90 days.
- Political sign sizes:
- Residential: 10 square feet
- Non-residential: 32 square feet
- No more than five feet high
- Signs may be placed 10 feet from property lines, or on a fence or wall.
- One sign per street frontage allowed.
- Remove signs shortly after the election.
Candidates — or candidate organizations that distribute the signs — need permits from the Zoning Office on behalf of property owners displaying signs. Click here for a temporary sign permit.
Property owners who display the signs are not required to have permits.
Information: email, 703-385-7820