Code Administration's Operations during COVID-19
Some of our processes will be temporarily changing due to COVID-19.
Beginning April 6, 2020, Code Administration will be closed to the public, until further notice, for the health and safety of the Fairfax community, and due to recommended health practices related to the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. Most of our processes can be done online. Please read below for more information.
Code Administration will be open (by email) from 8:30am to 3:30pm.
The Office of Code Administration asks that our customers utilize our online resources.
- Please complete your application using the fillable PDF and save to your hard-drive.
- All Plan Review Submissions must be electronic. Some files have the ability to be compressed (e.g. Zip File), these can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should be able to email about (5) Architectural pages, maybe more if the file is downsized. When attaching plans and applications to an email, please attach as a separate PDF document.
- If you're submitting a large set of documents/plans we have a DropBox to utilize. When you're ready to submit, email us at email@example.com and we will send you a link to the DropBox (which will expire in 5 business days). Please include the address, tenant name and description of work in the email.
- Payment of fees can be done by calling the automated payment line with the Treasurer's Office or visiting the PayGov Website. You will receive emailed instructions once your application has been processed.
- If you are opening a new business within the City limits, you may elect to defer payment of your Use Inspection. This does not eliminate the need to pay, it only defers the payment until the State of Emergency has been lifted. Please fill out the Request to Defer Payments Form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Until the State of Emergency and Local Emergency Declaration have been lifted routine Fire Prevention Code inspections for: Child Care & Daycare Facilities, Rentals, Use Inspections, Group Homes, Assisted Living Facilities will be suspended.
Restaurants expanding on their services to include the sale of provisions similar to a grocery store and/or market such as meat, dairy, seafood, household items by the pound, case, or unit must contact Code Administration at 703-385-7830 to schedule an inspection to provide guidance on fire and life safety practices. Expansion of services are only during the State of Emergency and Local Emergency Declaration time period. Normal business operations to occur after the declaration has been lifted. You may also contact Economic Development with any business operation questions at 703-385-7851.
You can email inspection requests by filling out our online form.
For questions, please email email@example.com