Requirements for Plan Review
New Plan Review Requirements Starting March 23rd 2020
- Architect: If the file can be compressed and is less than (5) Architectural Pages, these can be emailed into firstname.lastname@example.org. When attaching plans and applications to an email, please attach as a separate PDF document (the plans need to be in one PDF document, instead of multiple PDF's). If you're submitting a large set of documents/plans we have a DropBox to utilize. When you're ready to submit, email us at email@example.com and we will send you a link to the DropBox (which will expire in 5 business days). Please include the address, tenant name and description of work in the email.
The electronic drawings are required to be sealed, signed and dated using an approved third party verification program such as one of the following:
- Adobe Sign
- Global Sign
Code of Virginia Title 18VAC10-20-750.C requires electronic drawing seal, signature and date third party verification.
- Homeowner: Plans can be scanned using a Smartphone App (Camscanner, Genius Scan: make sure they're attached as a PDF). Our applications can be filed out electronically and saved to your hard-drive. Plans and applications can then be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. When attaching plans and applications to an email, please attach as a separate PDF document.
- A copy of the Virginia State Contractor's License or Owner's Exemption Form
- Plan submittals require a non-refundable deposit of the minimum permit fee, which is $91.80 or 25% of the estimated fee (whichever is greater)
- Payment of fees can be done by calling the automated payment line with the Treasurer's Office or visiting the PayGov Website. You will receive emailed instructions once your application has been processed.
- Would you like to check if the address is in the City of Fairfax? Please follow this link and type in your address. If it's a Commercial Property, only type in the street name. You can also call our office at 703-385-7830 to see if the property is in our jurisdiction.
- For questions, please email email@example.com
Rates and Levies (permit fees pages 3-10)
Expedited Plan Review
We are currently offering Expedited Plan Review. You can schedule an appointment with a Permit Technician. The review process consists of a phone meeting with Iran Scott and requires your plans to be submitted electronically prior to the appointment.
Solar Photovoltaic System (PV) Permitting and Installation
Click here for a checklist detailing the steps associated with the City’s Solar PV System Permitting and Installation Process.
Online Inspection Requests
Inspection Request Form
All new Restaurants will require Fairfax County Health Department approval prior to submitting. They are located at 10777 Main St. Fairfax, VA and can be reach at 703-246-2411.
Beginning at 5 pm Friday, March 27, all Fairfax County Government buildings will be closed to the public. They may submit plans to FCHD in one of two ways:
- Email plans/specs/applications to HDehd@fairfaxcounty.gov
- Mail plans/specs/applications to 10777 Main Street, Suite 100, Fairfax, VA 22030
For more information call 703 246 2201
Permit Procedures for Emergency Repairs
The regular business hours for Code Administration are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except holidays. When performing after hours emergency repairs or installation jobs for work requiring permits, the following procedure shall be followed:
If the applicant has access to email, notification on company letterhead describing the location and the scope of the work must be sent to Code Administration immediately at Permits@fairfaxva.gov.
A permit is to be obtained by the close of business on the next working day. If the permit is not obtained, the Director will be notified and a Stop Work Order* will be issued.
If the emergency repair or installation takes place during regular business hours, the following procedure will apply:
The company must notify Code Administration on (703)-385-7830, of the location and nature of the emergency job. A representative of the company must respond to Code Administration before the close of business, the same day, to obtain the permit.
If the permit is not obtained, the Director will be notified and a Stop Work Order* will be issued.
Requesting required inspections is the responsibility of the permit holder, or the permit holder's representative, in accordance to Section 110.4 of the USBC. Inspections can be requested by calling (703)-385-7830. If there are any questions, please feel free to call the above number to speak with a staff member.
*The State Board for Contractors will be notified of each Stop Work Order.
City of Fairfax
Office of Code Administration
10455 Armstrong Street 208
Fairfax VA, 22030