The Board of Zoning Appeals meets on the first Tuesday of each month with the exception of the month of August when all boards and commissions are in summer recess. The meetings are held at City Hall, in the City Council chambers. The meetings begin at 7 P.M.
The Board of Zoning Appeals consists of five appointed members pursuant to Code of Virginia, §15.2-2308.
Members of the Board of Zoning Appeals:
- Gary Perryman (Chairman)
- Nathaniel Bruno (Vice-Chairman)
- Robert Matthews
- Joseph Shannon
- Kamelia Roshanian
Powers and Duties of the Board of Zoning Appeals:
The board of zoning appeals shall exercise additional powers as may be described in City Code §110-5.3. and as permitted by the Code of Virginia.
Except as otherwise specified, the board of zoning appeals is responsible for final decisions regarding the following:
1. Special exceptions (§110-6.17);
2. Variances (§110-6.18); and
3. Administrative appeals (§110-6.21)
To file an appeal of any notice of violation, determination or interpretation issued by the Zoning Administrator you must:
- Complete and return a Administrative Appeal Application Form within 30 days of the issuance of notice of violation, determination, or interpretation.
- The Administrative Appeal Application Form must be submitted with:
- $1,050.00 appeal fee.
- A written statement regarding the position being contested.
- A copy of the notice of violation, determination, or interpretation being appealed.
- Once all required materials are submitted the appeal will be forwarded to the City Attorney and a hearing date before the Board of Zoning Appeals will be scheduled. The City Attorney’s office will notify you by written letter of the scheduled hearing date.
Only Notices of Violation, Determinations, and Interpretations of the Zoning Ordinance can be appealed to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
Civil penalty tickets may not be appealed to the Board of Zoning Appeals. Civil penalty tickets must be contested in the Fairfax Circuit Court.