The Comprehensive Plan is the City's official policy guide for future development-related decisions. It is general and long-range in nature and provides a picture of how the community wishes to develop over the next 15 to 20 years. As a policy document, the plan provides a framework for residents and decision makers to conceptualize how the city should look and function, as well as the best methods and strategies for achieving those goals.
An updated revision of the Comprehensive Plan was prepared by the Planning Commission and the Department of Community Development and Planning and officially adopted by the City Council on February 12, 2019. The newly adopted plan is presented for download below.
- Cover, Table of Contents, and Acknowledgements
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Land Use
- Chapter 3: Multimodal Transportation
- Chapter 4: Environment and Sustainability
- Chapter 5: Economic Vitality
- Chapter 6: Community Services
- Appendix A: Chesapeake Bay Preservation Plan
- Appendix B: Transportation Practices and Policy
- 2035 Comprehensive Plan Implementation Guide
You may also download the entire Comprehensive Plan.
- City Council Resolution No, R-19-03 Approving and Adopting the City of Fairfax 2035 Comprehensive Plan
- Planning Commission Resolution No. PC-18-02 Approving and Recommending Adoption of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan for the City of Fairfax
Completed Studies, Projects & Plans
Past studies, projects, and plans that helped guide formation of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan can be found here.
Comprehensive Plan Resources
Events, videos, presentations, and other documents key to the creation of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan can be found here.
Information on the Comprehensive Plan's progress and adoption can be found here.