The Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center
The Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center (Fairfax Elementary School, 1873)
10209 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22030
Open Every Day from 9 am to 5 pm
Closed New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (half-day), Christmas Day.
The Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center is located between Washington Dulles International Airport and Washington, D.C., in the heart of Northern Virginia. Housed in the former Fairfax Elementary School--built in 1873 as the first two-story brick school in Fairfax County-- it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The facility is handicapped-accessible.
As a state-certified visitor center we provide general visitor information for Fairfax City, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., including lodging, restaurants, transportation and historic and natural attractions. We also are the place to find out about special events in and around the City.
The museum produces permanent and special exhibitions on Fairfax City and Fairfax County history; provides educational outreach to school and youth groups; and offers walking tours of Old Town Fairfax and the City's historic buildings in the spring and fall.
Second Sunday, Sunday September 8, 2pm
Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center
"From Camp Humphreys to Fort Belvoir.“ Historian and archaeologist Patrick O'Neill will present the story of how today's Fort Belvoir was transformed during World War II.
The City of Fairfax is committed to the letter and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation for any type of disability, call: 703-385-8414 or 703-591-0560.