Becoming a Member
The Commission for Women is composed of a total of nine members appointed by the Mayor and City Council. Both men and women may apply for appointment.
One must be a registered voter and resident of the City of Fairfax for at least one year prior to application for membership, and remain a city resident during tenure on the Commission.
The term of membership is three (3) years. One may seek reappointment to additional terms. Some applicants are appointed to finish the term of another member who leaves the Commission prior to term's end.
Date and Time of Meetings
The Commission for Women regularly meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Library, Room 316, at Fairfax City Hall. The Commission often recesses during the month of August. In December, the Commission usually meets for dinner at an area restaurant.
The officers of the Commission for Women include: Chair, Secretary, and Vice Chair/Historian who also serves as Public Relations Officer. The term of office is typically, though not necessarily, one year.
The Chair prepares the agenda for monthly meetings, chairs the meetings and represents the Commission in the community and before Council.
The Vice Chair chairs meetings in the absence of the Chair.
The Secretary records minutes of every meeting and drafts correspondence as needed.
City Staff Support
The Director of Human Services serves as the staff liaison for the Commission for Women. The Director of Human Services maintains the Commission roster and distributes the agenda and minutes of each meeting. The Director of Human Services maintains an office at City Hall and can be reached either by telephone at: (703) 385-7894 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Calendar of Events:
- CFW meeting on January 15, 2019
- February: American Heart Month - "wear red for Women's heart health" and Eating Disorder Awareness and Screening
- CFW meeting on February 19, 2019
- March: Women's History Month and International Women's Day
- CFW meeting on March 19, 2019
- April: Equal Pay Day, National Child Abuse Prevention Month, Sexual Assault Awareness and National Infertility Awareness
- CFW meeting on April 16, 2019
- May: Celebrate Family Home Child Care Providers
- CFW meeting on May 21, 2019
- June: National Mental Health Awareness, Suicide Prevention and Depression Screening
- CFW meeting on June 18, 2019
- CFW meeting on July 16, 2019
- September: Ovarian Cancer Awareness and Rape Abuse and Incest Awareness
- CFW meeting on September 17, 2019
- October: Domestic Violence Awareness and Breast Cancer Awareness
- CFW meeting on October 15, 2019
- CFW meeting on November 19, 2019
- December: World AIDS Day on December 1
- CFW meeting on December 17, 2019