City of Fairfax Parks and Recreation
CODE OF CONDUCT
The City of Fairfax Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to developing and maintaining beautiful, safe and environmentally friendly open spaces for the public to use and enjoy.
Through affordable, comprehensive and amazing experiences, we build a sense of community, enrich people’s lives and contribute to total development of the individual, family, and the City of Fairfax.
We excel to meet the needs of our customers and residents and the needs of the City of Fairfax through activities, special events, cultural arts and parks that are representative of the best practices of our profession.
To help insure participant satisfaction and safety, the City requests participants and staff to follow a common set of rules for courteous behavior. All participants in registered programs must sign the Assumption of Risk waiver provided on the registration form, online or in office. For drop-in programs, participants must sign the waiver at the start of each class each day/time the activity is conducted. Upon signing the waiver, participants acknowledge they have read and agreed with the code of conduct, posted rules; and acknowledge the consequences should they not be complied with.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
Spectators and participants are asked to please observe the following:
- Respect the rights and privileges of all persons at all times.
- In case of emergency, dial 911.
- Comply with requests from officials, staff and program facilitators/instructors.
- Comply with any rules of the program, event or class and the rules of the facility where the program, event or class is being instructed.
- Refrain from conduct that disrupts or obstructs any program, event or class. This includes rudeness to others and argumentative behavior.
- Refrain from any lewd, obscene or indecent conduct or expression, including profanity, harassment, discrimination, threats or offensive remarks.
- Refrain from any action which in the judgment of any staff, instructor or facilitator, constitutes an attempt to inflict, or the actual infliction of, or injury to other participants and/or staff.
- Destruction or damage, to a City of Fairfax facility or one of its facility partners or theft of any property is not acceptable.
- Anything found at the facility that does not belong to you, should be left where it is unless you have been told by staff, instructor or facilitator to take it.
- Smoking is not permitted in any indoor facility.
- Possession or use of a weapon or explosive devices is not allowed.
- Selling, possessing or use of illegal drugs or alcohol is not allowed.
The above Code of Conduct will be enforced by the City of Fairfax staff, instructors and facilitators. The following program of corrective actions will be in effect for offenders:
Violations of the code that do not constitute an immediate and apparent threat to the safety of others or their property will result in all or some of the following actions including, but not limited to:
- A verbal warning
- A suspension of the right to participate in the activity for a period of time
- A permanent suspension from the program for failure to correct behavior for repeat violations of this code.
Violations of the code that are deemed to constitute an immediate or implied threat to the safety of others or their property may result in a temporary or permanent suspension from the program or facility/property.
The circumstances and severity of the incident as determined by the Parks and Recreation Director or designated staff will determine the length of suspension.
In extreme cases, if deemed necessary, Police enforcement will be called.
Permission and Consent
In consideration of the registrant being granted permission by the City of Fairfax, Virginia to participate in this program and associated activities, I hereby release the City of Fairfax, Virginia and its officers, employees, agents, and volunteers from any and all liability relating to or arising out of the registrant’s participation. I authorize the City of Fairfax and its officials, employees, agents and volunteers, at any such person’s discretion to administer emergency first aid treatment and at my expense to obtain the services of a physician(s) and/or rescue squad and authorize the same to effect such treatment of the registrant as they deem advisable. Participants in activities sponsored or cosponsored by the Park and Recreation Department consent to the department’s use of any photograph, in film or videotape of the activity in any marketing or promotional materials. I further understand that Parks and Recreation classes are to be enjoyed by all from youth through adults. Participants that continually disrupt the class and/or program experience for others will be asked to withdraw from the class and/or program with expectation of a refund, if applicable, for the balance of the class/and or program.
Please help insure a safe, fun and healthy environment for everyone!
City of Fairfax and Recreation Department