- 13 days annually (with fewer than 3 years of service)
- 19 1/2 days annually (with 3 - 14 years of service)
- 26 days annually (with 15 or more years of service)
During the first six months of employment, annual leave may not be used. The maximum amount of annual leave which may be accrued is 300 hours. Upon separation or retirement, payment is made on the basis of one day for each day of annual leave accrued up to a maximum of 300 hours, provided you have completed over six months continuous service.
Full-time employees accrue sick leave on the basis of four hours for each two week pay period. There is no maximum on the amount of sick leave which may be accrued. Upon separation from City service, no payment will be made for unused sick leave. However, unused sick leave may be credited as service towards retirement at the rate of one month for every 173 hours earned once you have met the initial retirement service.
Family Medical Leave
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 assists eligible employees in the care of newborn or newly adopted children and provides for absences to care for themselves, a child, a parent or a spouse faced with serious health conditions. Eligible employees are entitled to up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12 month period for certain purposes, as listed in the Fairfax City Code Section 66-13(g).
The City grants 10 1/2 holidays each calendar year. Holidays are:
|* New Year's Day||* Veterans Day|
|* Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||* Thanksgiving Day|
|* George Washington Day||* Fall Holiday (day after Thanksgiving)|
|* Memorial Day||* Christmas Eve (1/2 day)|
|* Independence Day||* Christmas Day|
|* Labor Day|
Health InsuranceThe city offers group health insurance through Kaiser and Anthem. Both plans have dental insurance coverage included in the premium.
Full-time Employee (per paycheck) Cost:
| Anthem/Delta Dental
Key Advantage 250
| Anthem/Delta Dental
Key Advantage (Expanded)
- Life insurance - Twice your annual salary up to a maximum of $200,000. No cost to employee.
- Dependent Life Insurance - $1,000 coverage available for spouse and/or dependent children (amount varies for children under five); only $.29 per pay period regardless of number of dependents covered.
- Short Term Accident and Sickness Insurance - Pays 60% of your base salary up to a maximum of $1,000 per week up to 26 weeks. No cost to employee.
- Long Term Disability Insurance - No cost to employee.
- Worker's Compensation - To protect employees injured on the job; no cost to employee.
- Savings Bonds - May be purchased through payroll deductions.
- Credit Union - Payroll deduction is available for savings, loans and Christmas Club.
- Deferred Compensation - A plan is offered through the City with the ICMA Retirement Corporation as the Administrator. Under Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code you may defer each year a maximum of 100 percent of your gross compensation or an annual dollar limit, whichever is less. The dollar limit for 2018 is $18,500.
- Employee Assistance Program - No cost to employee.
- Flexible Benefits - Pre-Tax benefits on certain expenses.
- Tuition Reimbursement Program - For courses relating to job (when funding is available).
New Employee Process Includes:
- Traffic Investigation, New Employee Orientation, Fingerprinting, and a One-Year Probationary Period.
- After a conditional job offer is made: Criminal History Background Check and Physical Examination.
Effective: July 2018