Annual leave is accrued by the length of tenure for each two-week pay period as follows:
Less than 3 years of service *4 hours
3-14 years of service *6 hours
15 years or more *8 hours
During the first six months of employment, annual leave may not be used. The maximum amount of annual leave which may be accrued is 300 hours. Upon separation or retirement, payment is made on the basis of one day for each day of annual leave accrued up to a maximum of 300 hours, provided you have completed over six months continuous service.
Full-time employees accrue on the basis of four hours for each two-week pay period. It is earned by part-time employees on a proportional basis based on the number of hours worked (.05 x number of hours). There is no maximum on the amount of sick leave which may be accrued.
Family Medical Leave
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 assists eligible employees in the care of newborn or newly adopted children and provides for absences to care for themselves, a child, a parent or a spouse faced with serious health conditions. Eligible employees are entitled to up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12 month period for certain purposes, as listed in the Fairfax City Code Section 66-13(g).
The City offers group health insurance through Kaiser and Anthem. Both plans have dental insurance coverage included in the premium.
If you work 20+ hours per week your (bi-weekly) costs will be:
| Anthem/Delta Dental
Key Advantage 250
| Anthem/Delta Dental
Key Advantage (Expanded)
Each part-time employee may elect to have dental insurance through Dominion/Denticare. Under this plan you must choose a dentist from their lists and remain on the plan for a minimum of one year.
Optional participation in the City Retirement Plan. Employees may contribute 1-5% of their salary into the City plan which is administered by ICMA Corporation.
The City grants 10 1/2 holidays each calendar year on a proportional basis to part-time employees. Holidays are:
|* New Year's Day||* Veterans Day|
|* Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||* Thanksgiving Day|
|* George Washington Day||* Fall Holiday (day after Thanksgiving)|
|* Memorial Day||* Christmas Eve (1/2 day)|
|* Independence Day||* Christmas Day|
|* Labor Day|
- Life insurance - Twice your annual salary up to maximum of $200,000. No cost to employee.
- Workers Compensation - To protect employees injured on the job; no cost to employee.
- Savings Bonds - May be purchased through payroll deductions.
- Credit Union - Payroll deduction is available for savings, loans and Christmas Club.
- Employee Assistance Program - No cost to employee.
- Flexible Benefits - Pre-Tax benefits on certain expenses.
New Employee Process Includes:
- Traffic Investigation, New Employee Orientation, Fingerprinting, and a One-Year Probationary Period.
- After a conditional job offer is made: Criminal History Background Check and Physical Examination.
Effective: July 2018