Obtaining Criminal History Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

General Information

You may find it necessary to obtain a police certification about your criminal history or lack of a criminal history. This may be necessary as part of a job application, to obtain a security clearance as part of your job, to enlist in the military, or for some other reason.

There are strict laws and regulations about maintaining the privacy of these records, and how and to whom the information may be released. Generally, you can only obtain criminal history information about yourself. The primary State law governing the release of criminal history information is Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia.

Depending on what information you need, you may have to make your request to the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange (CCRE) which is managed by the Virginia Department of State Police. The Exchange receives criminal records from across the state and serves as the official custodian of records for most criminal violations. The police or sheriff's agency that made the original arrest or charge maintains records concerning lesser criminal violations. Consequently, you may have to make requests from both a local police agency as well as the Department of State Police to obtain a complete criminal history record.

To review the applicable State laws regarding the release of criminal history information or if you think you will need to make a request to the Virginia Department of State Police, visit Virginia Department of State Police about criminal history requests.

Criminal Arrest Records Maintained by the City of Fairfax Police Department

The criminal arrest records of the City of Fairfax Police Department are maintained by the Police Records Section, which is located in police headquarters at:

3730 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax, Virginia 22030

Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 p.m. It is suggested that you telephone the Police Records Section and speak with a Records Specialist to ensure that we are the keeper of the records you are seeking and to confirm what paperwork and identification you will need to bring with you. This will ensure we can assist you when you arrive and provide you with the most efficient service possible. The telephone number for the Police Records Section is 703.385.7950. 

To make a request for criminal history information you will be required to complete a Request for Criminal History Information Form when you arrive at the Police Records Section. In keeping with the restrictions of State law, you can only request criminal history information about yourself. To process your request you must:

  • Make your request in person.
  • You must present two forms of personal identification from the list below. One from the list MUST have your photograph on the identification:
    • Your drivers license
    • Your Social Security Card
    • Your Birth Certificate
    • Your Passport
    • A government issued identification issued in your name
  • Pay a fee of $10.00 for each individual record check. This payment can be made by check, made payable to "The City of Fairfax", or with exact change only.

Once you complete the Criminal History Request Form and pay the processing fee, a records specialist will check the Department's records while you wait. You will be given a copy of the Criminal History Request Form documenting the results of the search. 

If the records specialist finds that you have a criminal history involving an offense that was required to be reported to the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange, you will be advised that you will have to make a request directly to the Exchange through the Virginia Department of State Police. The reason for this referral is to ensure that you receive an accurate report. In cases involving CCRE reportable offenses, the Exchange receives dismissal, conviction and amendment of charge information directly from the Court that originally heard the case and any subsequent appeals. By going directly to the CCRE you will get an accurate record for your use or to provide to your employer.

Records that are reported to the Exchange include:

  • Treason
  • All felony offenses.
  • All misdemeanor offenses that are punishable by confinement in jail as outlined in Title l8.2 or 19.2 of the Code of Virginia. These are normally offenses which are classified as Class I or Class II misdemeanors. The offenses of trespassing, driving while intoxicated, and disorderly conducts are excluded from being reported to the Exchange.
  • To review the details of CCRE reporting requirements visit Virginia Department of State Police
Need More Information? Not Sure Which Agency To Make Your Request To?

Since requests for criminal history information are governed by several different laws and depends on the original offense charged, the release of such information can be confusing. Please do not hesitate to call the Police Records Section at 703.385.7950 and speak with one of the Records Specialists. They will be glad to assist you in making your requests to the necessary agencies.