Right-of-Way Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Any disturbance within the roads, streets and easements of the City requires a permit. Such disturbances include digging or excavating anywhere within the right-of-way, installation or replacement of lines or conduits, erection of utility poles, installation of lights, transformers, switches and other appurtenances, removing or replacing curbs, gutters, sidewalks, driveway aprons or other public improvements, as well as lane closures on public roadways and closures of public sidewalk for any purpose. These permits are issued by the Public Works Department. The City's Permit Package contains forms, rules and regulations. If you have any questions, please contact our office at 703.385.7828 or email.

Emergencies - In the event of an emergency that demands immediate action to protect the public health, safety or welfare, when a permit cannot be reasonably or practically obtained beforehand, emergency actions may proceed provided that notification be provided to the office of the director of public works, 703.385.7810, or during non-business hours to the police dispatcher, 703.385.7924, and provided that all buried utilities are located as provided by law.

Inspections – All work performed under a right-of-way permit shall be inspected by the City. Inspections can be scheduled by contacting the our office at 703.385.7828 or email.

Here are some points of contact for other types of permits required by the City:
  • For any construction of buildings or other structures or electrical, mechanical or plumbing work a city permit is required. For these permits and for all occupancy permits including Rental Housing Occupancy Permits, contact the Office of Building and Fire Code Administration .
  • For Sign Permits, Special Use Permits, Tree Removal Permits, Flood Plain Permits, Residential or Non-Residential Use Permits, and Grading Permits, contact the Department of Community Development and Planning.
  • See a full listing of all the Permits and Licensing from City of Fairfax.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer