The City of Fairfax is a Phase II Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) and is regulated by the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) general permit through the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. This permit allows the City of Fairfax to discharge stormwater per the State and Federal Laws created by the Clean Water Act. The MS4 permit annual report is a required document prepared by the City each permit cycle to outline the activities the City is doing to reduce stormwater runoff and pollution to the maximum extent practicable
In 2018, DEQ approved a new general permit that became effective November 1, 2018 and expires October 31, 2023.
The MS4 Program must include an MS4 Program Plan that includes six minimum control measures and Special Conditions for approved Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL) for the Chesapeake Bay TMDL and non-Chesapeake Bay TMDLs. The six minimum control measures are:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Participation/Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment On Prior Developed Lands
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
The City’s MS4 permit contains the Notice of Coverage Letter, information on minimum control measures, special conditions for Chesapake Bay and non-Chesapake Bay TMDLs, and their specific requirements.
- MS4 Annual Report – Year 1, 2nd cycle (2018-2019)
- MS4 Program Plan (2019 Update)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 5 (2017-2018)
- MS4 Program Plan 2013-2018 (2017 Update)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 4 (2016-2017)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 3 (2015-2016) (Submitted Copy - Awaiting Comments)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 2 (2014-2015)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 1 (2013-2014)
- 2011 - Part 1
- 2011 - Part 2
MS4 Stormwater "Outfalls" Inventory
This inventory involves identifying, inspecting and mapping stormwater “outfalls” – every point where a conveyance of the City of Fairfax’s stormwater system discharges into streams, lakes, and wetlands. There are currently 145 known outfalls in the City of Fairfax.
Click the below link to see a map of the stormwater outfall structure locations with the City.
Chesapeake Bay TMDL Action Plan
To report Illicit Discharges click here.
Please send additional comments and questions about the City’s MS4 permit to Satoshi.Eto@fairfaxva.gov