The City of Fairfax is regulated under the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality to discharge stormwater under the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VDPES) general permit. This permit allows the City of Fairfax to discharge stormwater per the State and Federal Laws created from the Clean Water Act. The Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) is a required document prepared by the City each permit cycle to outline the planning of activities the city is doing to reduce stormwater runoff pollution to the maximum extent practicable . The City of Fairfax is considered a Phase II MS4.
In March 2013, the Virginia Soil & Water Conservation Board approved a new general permit that became effective July 1, 2013.
The MS4 Program must include an MS4 Program Plan that includes six minimum control measures and Special Conditions for approved Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL) for the Chesapeake Bay TMDL and non-Chesapeake Bay TMDLs. The six minimum control measures are:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Participation/Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment On Prior Developed Lands
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
- MS4 Program Plan (2019 Update)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 5 (2017-2018)
- MS4 Program Plan 2013-2018 (2017 Update)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 4 (2016-2017)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 3 (2015-2016) (Submitted Copy - Awaiting Comments)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 2 (2014-2015)
- MS4 Annual Permit - Year 1 (2013-2014)
- 2011 - Part 1
- 2011 - Part 2
MS4 Stormwater "Outfalls" Inventory
This inventory involves identifying, inspecting and mapping stormwater “outfalls” – every point where a conveyance of the City of Fairfax’s stormwater system discharges into streams, lakes, and wetlands. There are currently 145 known outfalls in the City of Fairfax.
Click the below link to see a map of the stormwater outfall structure locations with the City.
Chesapeake Bay TMDL Action Plan
Please send comments and questions to Christina Alexander at Christina.Alexander@fairfaxva.gov.