- Eliminate substandard horizontal geometry along Fairfax Boulevard/Main Street through the main intersection.
- Install signalization phasing changes to optimize operation at the Kamp Washington Intersection.
- Provide an additional southbound lane on U.S. Route 29 from Kamp Washington Intersection to the existing third southbound lane near Shell Station.
- Extend westbound through lanes on Main Street from Chestnut Street to Hallman Street.
- Lengthen turn lanes to provide additional storage for turning vehicles.
- Improve pedestrian mobility with new crosswalks, curb ramps, sidewalks, and pedestrian signalization. Replace span-wire signals with mast arm signals.
Kamp Washington - Intersection of Rt. 29 (Main St) & Rt. 50 (Lee Hwy).
Benefits of the Improvements:
- Reduce congestion by improving signal phasing & operation. Increased capacity of dual left turn lane from east bound Fairfax Boulevard to NB Fairfax Boulevard/Route 29. Improved traffic flow along west bound Main Street.
- Improved intersection geometrics (elimination of horizontal shifts through intersection along Fairfax Boulevard/Main Street).
- Improved pedestrian mobility throughout project limits.
- Major construction completed in Summer 2018.
- Minor construction estimated to be complete by Fall 2018.
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 1-2L_Part1
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 1-2L_Part2
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 1-2L_Part3
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 1-2L_Part4
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 3-15_Part1
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 3-15_Part2
- Kamp Washington Project - Plan Set 3-15_Part3