The City is currently in the preliminary engineering phase of the project. The staff team is currently working to develop an engineered plan that includes the recommended components from the conceptual planning process. The plan will include a two-way cycle track and a shared use path on the north side of Old Lee Highway, a continuous sidewalk on the south side and upgraded bus stops and shelters throughout the project area. Staff and a resident advisory team will refine the preliminary plans.
In 2015, the City completed a conceptual plan for Old Lee Highway in the City of Fairfax. The conceptual planning process occurred over approximately six months and included extensive public involvement. This process resulted in a recommended conceptual plan for Old Lee Highway. The recommended concept includes separated bicycle lanes, upgraded pedestrian and transit amenities and improved landscaping and buffering. The plan does not recommend additional vehicular travel lanes on Old Lee Highway.
- Plan development: In progress
- Design Public Hearing: Summer 2020
- Right of Way Acquisition Start: Winter 2021
- Utility Relocation Start: 2022
- Construction Start: Spring 2023
Documents for Download
- 2005 Old Lee Highway Transportation Study
- February 3, 2015 Presentation to City Council at Work Session
- March 19, 2015 Public Meeting Presentation
- June 4, 2015 Public Meeting Presentation
- July 7, 2015 Presentation of Recommended Alternatives (City Council Work Session)
- November 6, 2018 Project Update Presentation (City Council Work Session)
- July 23, 2019 Project Update Presentation
- Rendering of Conceptual Plan