In an effort to increase the comfort and walkability of Old Town, the City identified a number of locations in Old Town where there was available space behind the sidewalk to increase the sidewalk width.
The City performed preliminary survey and constructability reviews on the potential segments and presented that information to the City Council in a work session on September 3, 2019.
The following segments were selected to move forward with survey, design, right-of-way and construction.
- West side of Old Lee Highway north of Main Street (segment 3).
- East Side of Chain Bridge Road between Main Street and North Street (Segment 7).
- Survey: December 2019
- Design Plan Community Meeting : Spring 2020
- Right of Way Acquisition: Begins in Spring 2020
- Construction: Begins Fall/Winter 2020