May is National Bike Month! Help Fairfax celebrate by participating in one of our great events, and encourage your friends and family to get out and ride!
Fairfax Bike Month Events
#RideAndSeek Photo Scavenger Hunt
|Click here to download the clues!|
When: All Month in May
Where: Throughout the City of Fairfax
All during the month of May, solve clues and bike* to landmarks throughout the City of Fairfax. When you find the landmarks:
- Post a selfie on Instagram showing the location and your active travel mode*
- Tag @cityoffairfaxva and use the hashtag #rideandseek
Prizes will be awarded each Monday in May to the photos with the most "likes"!
*If you don't bike, you can still participate - stroll, jog, or use another active travel mode to explore the city!
Tour de Solar Community Bike Ride
When: Saturday, May 11 - Registration at 9:30 AM, Ride 10 AM - Noon
Where: Start and End at Fairfax City Hall (10455 Armstrong St)
On Saturday, May 11, join a community bike tour of homes with solar energy installations. Explore the City's trails and bike-friendly streets and learn more about Solarize NOVA from the City's Sustainability Coordinator and a representative from Ipsun Solar.
A few notes and details about this ride:
- The route is approximately 7 miles. View or download the route map and cue sheet here.
- The ride is a relaxed no-drop ride - no one will be left behind! We will be stopping a few places along the route to view and discuss homes with solar installations, so we expect actual riding time to take about one hour with several 5-10 minute stops along the way.
- We will be riding on mixed surfaces including quiet local streets, gravel and stone dust trails, and a few short segments walking on sidewalks.
- Helmets are required.
- Waivers are required. You can download it now to bring with you or sign it when you arrive.
- If you have questions before or during the ride, call Chloe Ritter (Multimodal Transportation Planner) at 571-377-9334.
- Weather: in the event that there is severe weather, the ride may be postponed. Check this page for updates.
Bike to Work Day
When: Friday, May 17, 6 - 9 AM
Where: Old Town Square (10415 North Street)
Register now: http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/register-now
This annual event is a favorite among new and experienced cyclists! Register for FREE and get a free t-shirt, snacks, and prizes at the Fairfax City Pit Stop in Old Town Square. Check out the Fairfax City Bike to Work Day page for more details.
Other Bike Month Events
Check out other cycling activities and celebrations happening around the City and around the region in May!
National Bike to School Day
On Wednesday, May 8, join your classmates and teachers to bike to school. Participate at Daniels Run or Providence Elementary, ask your school about participating, or check out this page for ideas and more information: www.walkbiketoschool.org.
Kids Safety Day with the City of Fairfax Police
On Saturday, May 18, join the City of Fairfax Police to participate in a bike rodeo, learn bicycle safety tips, and more!
About Bike Month
Since 1956 the League of American Bicyclists has celebrated Bike Month, highlighting the many ways and reasons people ride and encouraging more people to give it a try. Check out their website for more information: https://bikeleague.org/bikemonth.
For More Information:
Contact Chloe Ritter, Multimodal Transportation Planner