Fairfax Water provides all wastewater billing and account services for the City. Billing related questions or concerns and requests to begin or end services should be presented to Fairfax Water at 703-698-5800. For more information regarding Wastewater bills, please visit the Fairfax Water Sewer Charges and Taxes page.
The city’s wastewater rates are based on the amount of water used as recorded by the water meter. There is no adjustment in the wastewater bill for water used for irrigation.
|PROPERTY TYPE||BILLING SCHEDULE||TYPE||RATE|
|Residential||Quarterly||Base Charge (0-5,000 gallons)||$47.30|
|Residential||Quarterly||Commodity Charge (per 1,000 gallons beyond 5,000 gallons)||$9.04|
|Commercial||Monthly||Base Charge (0-5,000 gallons)||$55.65|
|Commercial||Monthly||Commodity Charge (per 1,000 gallons beyond 5,000 gallons)||$9.04|
|Apartment Buildings||Monthly||Base Charge (per unit)||$36.89|
The utility tax for the water bill is equal to 15% of the water service charge. There is a maximum amount of $15 per month that is assessed to residential customers and a maximum of $500 per month assessed to commercial customers.
Sanitary Sewer Television Inspections: Base fee of $200 for the first two hours of work conducted (paid in advance).
* Each additional hour or fraction thereof will be charged at the rate of $100.
Availability: Refer to "Charges for New Wastewater Connections".
Frontage: Base fee of $300 for single family residences in residential zones and of $600 for all other.
* Each linear foot of frontage will be charged at the rate of $6 with a maximum charge of $600 for single family residences in residential zones; No maximum charges for all other.
Plumbing Fixtures: Included in the Availability fees for single family residences in residential zones and up to 20 drainage fixture units for all other.
*Each additional drainage fixture unit (DFU) beyond the 20 DFU included in the Availability fees will be charged at the rate of $298 (excluding single family residences in residential zones).
- For wastewater-related plumbing permit fees, such as sewer taps and building sewers, or to obtain a City of Fairfax Plumbing Permit, please refer to Code Administration.
Wastewater Bill Adjustments
Occasionally, water customers may encounter an unexpected excessive water/wastewater bill caused by a water leak, outdoor irrigation, or filling of a swimming pool. A new policy enacted by the Fairfax City Council allows the city manager to remove the excessive charge from the customer’s wastewater bill.
Adjustment requests must meet certain criteria:
- The water use in question must not have reached the wastewater system to be eligible for full reimbursement.
- Adjustments are approved only once every five years at a billing address for water leaks and irrigation, and only once per year at a billing address for pool filling.
- It is recommended for customers to reserve the adjustment for water leak and irrigation related cases to those in which the wastewater charge exceeds 130% of the previous winter quarter.
The adjustment will cover one billing period based on the customer winter water consumption. The level of adjustment will be based on the following:
- Water leaks in which leaked water does not reach the wastewater system will be reduced by 100% based on the preceding year's winter consumption.
- Water leaks in which the leaked water reaches the wastewater system will be reduced by 50% based on the preceding year's winter consumption.
- Water usage for high outdoor irrigation in which water does not reach the wastewater system will be reduced by 100% based on the preceding year's winter consumption.
In the event that a customer fills a swimming pool the wastewater portion of the customers utility bill will be reduced for a one time filling of the pool in each calendar year in an amount equal to the volume of the swimming pool provided:
- The swimming pool's drain line does not connect to the city's sanitary sewer system.
- Proof of evidence is provided indicating that the pool water is de-chlorinated and disposed of in accordance with the Code of the City of Fairfax, VA prior to having the wastewater portion of the bill adjusted. De-chlorination guidelines are available here.
To request a wastewater utility bill adjustment please complete the request form and submit it electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your quarterly Fairfax Water bill. The form can also be submitted in person or sent in the mail to the Department of Public Works located at 10455 Armstrong Street Fairfax, VA 22030 Suite 200.