Voters who are unable to vote at their polling place on Election Day may absentee vote in person or by mail. You may apply for a by-mail ballot up to 12 months prior to the election in which you wish to vote. You must complete an application and provide one of the eligible reasons why you are unable to vote in your precinct. For a full list of eligible reasons and complete information regarding eligibility for absentee voting, please visit the Virginia Department of Elections website. In Virginia, ALL absentee ballots are counted on Election Day.
How can I get a ballot mailed to me?
- You may apply online using your DMV customer number or,
- Complete, sign, and mail, fax, or email an Absentee Ballot Application Form
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you is 5 p.m., 7 days before any election
How do I return my Ballot?
- Ballots may be mailed to the address listed below
- Ballots may be hand delivered only by the voter to the address listed below.
- Ballots must be received before the polls close on Election Day at 7 p.m. in order to be counted
- Enter your name and ballot mailing address.
- Select the button to receive updates on your status via email or text message.
- Enter your locality
- Complete the information in the form
If you have an on going illness or disability that prevents you from voting at you polling location, you may apply for an absentee application once per year instead of before each election.
- Download the Annual Application
- Complete the application following the instructions carefully
- Sign the application
- If this is your first annual application, you must also have a medical professional or religious practitioner sign the form
- Complete, sign, and mail, fax, or email the application
- Please contact our office at the number below for assistance in completing the application
- In person absentee voting begins 45 days prior to most elections
- Normal business hours are M-F 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday hours are available two Saturdays before any November General Election and one Saturday before any Primary, Special or City General Election
- The final day to absentee vote in person is the final Saturday before the election
- Saturday hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- In person absentee voting takes place at the address listed below
- You will be required to show photo ID in order to vote
Please follow this link if you are Military and/or Overseas
City of Fairfax Office of Elections
10455 Armstrong Street, Suite 300
Fairfax, VA 22030