Historic Blenheim House, c. 1859
Location: 3610 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030. Map Directions to Historic Blenheim
Hours: Civil War Interpretive Center and Gallery: 10 am to 3 pm Tuesday through Saturday. The house is available for view Tuesday through Saturday during a 1 pm guided tour.Check back for holiday closings. No admission fee except for Fairfax History Day and group tours.**
Historic Blenheim is a c. 1859 central-hall plan Greek Revival-style brick farmhouse built by Albert Willcoxon just prior to the Civil War (1861-65). It is nationally significant for the voluminous quantity and quality of examples of Civil War inscriptions. More than 122 signatures, pictographs, games, and thoughts were left on the house walls by Union soldiers during their occupation of the Fairfax Court House area in 1862-63. This "diary on walls" provides insight into typical soldier life and extends to the effect of this war on local residents--such as the Willcoxon family--and free and enslaved people of African descent.
Guided Tour of Historic House: Please Note: A guided tour of the house is at 1pm! Our gallery with replica attic in the Civil War Interpretive Center is open from 10am to 3pm.
*The house is only available for view during the Tuesday through Saturday 1 pm guided tour. At this time the tour is of the first floor of the historic house and historic features around the site. Meet in the Civil War Interpretive Center. The Historic House is accessible for handicapped visitors. Phone: 703.591.0560.
**Group Tours: Private guided tours for adult groups and educational programs for students are available for a fee ($). All tours for 8 or more people are tailored for group needs, educational standards, and interests. Tours require advanced reservations. To arrange group educational programs or tours of historic Blenheim call Andrea Loewenwarter at 703.591.0560 or 6728.
Civil War Interpretive Center
In the Civil War Interpretive Gallery (2008), wall inscriptions and pictographs from the house are reproduced with full-scaled photographs in the replica attic.
To learn about the newest investigative research of the graffiti click here!The gallery also includes an illustrated timeline of Civil War events, artifacts that interpret the everyday soldier, biographies of several of the wall signers, and temporary displays.
Cannon drawing in Attic Soldiers' Signatures in Attic
Along with the featured gallery in the Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim, we also hold monthly Civil War Programs in our center and feature short videos on local Fairfax Civil War topics. The gift shop stocks books, children's toys and games, replica items, and souvenirs related to the Civil War and Fairfax history.
Saturday, July 27 --Historic Blenheim - 2 p.m.
"Virginia Waterways and the Underground Railroad"
Enslaved Virginians sought freedom from the time they were first brought to the Jamestown Colony in 1619. Acts of self-emancipation were aided by Virginia's waterways, which became part of the network of the Underground Railroad in the years before the Civil War. Dr. Cassandra Newby-Alexander of Norfolk State University will discuss theses often successful attempts and the watermen willing to help escaped slaves.
Book sales and signing will be offered after the presentation. Free
Historic Blenheim is a member of the Northern Virginia Civil War Graffiti Trail. However, please call individual sites to make sure opening times are still accurate. Brochure of Northern Virginia Civil War Graffiti Trail. We are also a member of the Virginia Civil War Trails. Brochures are available in both the Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center and in the Civil War Interpretive Center.
The Civil War Interpretive Center is available for rentals for private use. For information call 703.385.7858 or Click here for rental properties information .
On the grounds of the Historic Blenheim estate is Grandma's Cottage, which dates to c. 1840. It was occupied for much of its history by Margaret Conn Willcoxon Farr, the sister of Albert Willcoxon, owner of the Willcoxon farm (later named "Blenheim"). Margaret Farr is buried in the Blenheim cemetery along with her husband, brother, parents, and grandmother.
The cottage is important for its combination of log-wall construction and rare hewn timber framing with brick infill between the studs in the c. 1940 left portion of the house. A log cabin, of unknown date was connected to the 2-story house in 1867. It has been moved twice: in 1962 from its original location at the corner of Old Lee Highway and Route 236/Main Street to Old Lee Highway near Layton Hall Drive, from which it was moved to the Blenheim estate in 2001 after being donated to the city by local descendants of Margaret Farr.
The City of Fairfax is committed to the letter and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation for any type of disability, call: 703-385-8414 or 703-591-0560.